Directions for Jotto
Jotto is a word game. The computer will choose a secret English word with five different (unique) letters. The object of the game is to guess that secret word. Each guess is answered by the number of letters (Jots) in the guess (test) word that match or occur in the secret word. Through a process of elimination, you should be able to deduce the correct letters using logic.
1. To start: Click inside of the Test Word entry box.
2. Type your five letter test or guess word. Letters may be in upper or lower case
or a combination of upper and lower case.
3. After you have entered your guess word, click the "Jots" button.
4. See how many of the letters in your test word occur in the secret word. Duplicate letters in your guess word that match a letter in the secret word will only receive one Jot.
5. Click inside of the next Test Word entry box.
6. Type your next test or guess word and then click the "Jots" button.
7. Continue in this manner until you correctly guess the secret word or your 20th guess. If you correctly guess the secret word, the computer will print "5 Correct Score =..." If the computer prints 5 but not "Correct", this means that you have identified all five letters but they are not arranged to form the secret word. On your next guess, you must rearrange the letters to form another word.
8. To see the secret word, Click the "Answer" button at the bottom of the page.
9. To start a new game Click "Click to Start a New Game"
10. An Eliminating Alphabet is at the bottom of the page.
If you have ruled a letter in, place a "Y" in the Yes box under the letter.
If you have ruled a letter out, place an "N" in the No box under the letter.